Thursday 13 November 2008

Yummy Hoi An food

So far, all I have written about is the Vietnamese food. I have to continue writing more on the diverse foods in Vietnam.

Hoi An is a place where the Japanese, Chinese and Vietnamese have many spectular buildings and archifacts around the town. We visited the ancient part of Hoi An, our guide told us that many Chinese resides here and have adapted the Vietnamese way of living. Hoi An has many delicancies and we only tried 3 dishes whilst walking around in the ancient town.

First local delight was Cao Lao. This is noodles with a little gravy and thin slices of cooked pork, topped with mint, vegetables, spring onions and pork scratchings. It was delicious. I took a pic of my Cao Lao.


Second dish is called White Rose. I am sure this name was given by westerners. This white rose dish is pieces of either fried or steamed rice pastry which looks like a flower. They are like the Italian pasta pouches, I can't remember what they are called. (they have spinach in them!) These white rose have shrimp and seafood in them as filling. See photo. They taste fantastic!



Finally, one of my favourite, the Hoi An pancakes, see the above photo. I know how these are made and will try it out sometime in the next few weeks. I have posted the recipe up already.

No comments: