Saturday 9 August 2008

Olympics

I watched the opening ceremony of 29th Olympia online on Friday and it was spectular! I have never seen it so good and China has done extremely well!

My favourite bit was the countdown. They had 2000 drummers each with a drum and each drum surrounded with a light panel. When the drummers hit the drum with hands or sticks, the panel lit up. They used the drummers to create the numbers for the countdown on the ground of the stadium. That was fantastic to watch and amazing on their precision and organisation of the whole performance.

The opening ceremony was so well thought out. They spoke about the history, the current and future China. They had loads of dancers, talented musicans and singers. I think they had the best team this year.

When the torch was lit at the stadium, it was brilliant how it was performed. I think the gymnast Li Ling, held the lighter and was wired and pulled up onto the top of the inside roof of the stadium. He lit the end of this pole near the torch which then exploded into a burst of flames and passed along the pole to where the torch is. Then the flame burst into a big fire and created this firework like display which brought the large torch alight.

I think overall the whole opening ceremony was brilliant. How will London beat that in 2012?! I would love to know. I believe that London haven't not got their budget for the Olympics sorted out yet. I read the other day that it was over 35 million/billion which over-estimated what they originally thought it was cost by multiple times.

I think they will give just as good closing ceremony! Let's keep watching!

No comments: