Saturday 20 March 2010

My 5km challenge!

I have signed up for Race for Life 2010 and going to be doing the 5km race for Cancer Research UK. The day of the event is 26th June held in Old Deer Park, Richmond, London.

I started training for this event over 2 months ago. Having never done any running/sports events before, this event is going to test my fitness and determination. I did do some research on training for running events and how to train for them and I must admit, I didn't know there was so much to learn about running. Anyway I am doing between 2-3 training sessions per week which is not bad for my lack of fitness and my physique.

There is a list of things one need to look into when training for such an event from trainers, running position, diet, stamina, fitness to clothes to wear. Eventually, I came across a training plan on the Internet, called Couch 2 5K. This plan is 9 week plan and for each week, there are 3 training sessions. For each session, you follow the regime, for example week 1, brisk walk for 5 mins, then 1 min jog and 1 min walk until you reach 20 mins. By week 6-8, the plan says you should be able to jog at least 1.5 miles.

Here is the link to that training plan.
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

At the moment, I'm on week 7. I managed to comfortably skipped a few weeks and still hold on to my training. Getting comfortable with the jogging but I think I need a new pair of trainers! :P

By the way, I managed to jog 5km today, in 40 minutes though which is not great, but at least I know for sure I can do 5km!

No comments: