Sunday 5 February 2017

London Marathon 2016 - My First Marathon

This is a very late blog post, I don't know why I didnt write about this earlier, it has been almost a year now.

My first marathon, the full 26.2 miles was in London. I got a ballot place from the Virgin Money London Marathon way back in October 2015. I was very shocked because I hear lots of people who enter the ballot and year after year, they receive the 'Sorry' magazine. I was expecting the same as the year because, I got that same magazine through the post. Anyway, I was very nervous and surprised when I got the 'You're in' magazine!

I went with a training plan online, this was the Bupa beginners marathon training plan. I didn't have high expectations because the only thing I was worried about was that I couldn't make the distance.
I did follow the plan as much as I could, I say I did around 70% of us. It was rough and some days, I just felt like giving up and just having a lie in on Sundays.

From the diet point of view, I did eat more protein and carbs. After most long runs, I would have a hot chocolate. Every day I would have my daily vitamins which was the Alive from Natural Health for Women's Energy. I would say it helped with my push myself onto the scheduled runs.

For after care, post running, most of time, I would have a hot bath with Epsom salts and muscle soak. My calves use to feel so tired and in agony with ache, I used Biofreeze to cool and soothe them. Also I bought myself a handheld massage roller, so whilst resting on the sofa, I would massage my thighs and calves.


Many people use raising money for charity as a motivator for training for a full marathon, I was the same. My company was kind enough to double what I was raise and that helped me a lot and colleagues encouraged me not to give up! It was a local charity, Emily Ash Trust which helps family and kids who suffer through cancer and other illness.

Anyway, I did it, as my photo above show. I didn't worry about my time. 5 hours 56 mins, for the record. I had to stop twice to see friends and family and once for a stretch. It was tough but afterwards I couldn't stop smiling. It was one the best feeling in the world!

I hope this blog post is of some use to anyone thinking of running a marathon.

Happy running!

No comments: