Monday 7 July 2008

Mini adventure to Padstow

This weekend, my hubby and I went to North Cornwall for a mini break, Padstow, to be exact. Our plan was to camp in a tent for a night and for the next two nights, stay in a bed guesthouse. I say, bed guesthouse instead of a B&B, its because there was no breakfast. The guesthouse is located in central Padstow.

Padstow is basically Rick Stein country, I am sure he owns half of the town. There is Rick Steins fish and chips shop, seafood cookery school, deli, gift shop, bakery, cafe and seafood restaurant. The guy must be minted. Anyway, I couldn't resist and ate at his fish and chips twice as well as at his bakery and even the gift shop, we bought a Rick Stein's apron. Very cheesy!

The weather was absurd, it literally rained all weekend. It was windy and wet and basically, any outside activities had to be abandoned. We couldn't go cycling, camping or have a barbe!

So what did we do?! We went to walk around Padstow and that lasted less than an hour, it was a small place. We ate at various places, such as the Old Customs House, Red Lion pub and all the RS places I mentioned earlier. We managed to drive to Bedruthen Steps, but it was so windy, it was too risky to be lurky by the cliff, so we had cream tea (scones with clotted cream and strawberry jam and earl grey!). That tea house does the best cream tea I've had.

We went to Golitha Falls, which was within Bodmin Moors. I heard that Bodmin Moors had the most hausted house in Britain, remembered watching some TV programme about this house. However we didnt see the house though. The falls were small and flowing, when we got there, the rain was heavy and it was a task getting to the falls. At one point, I almost fell down a hill (I was climbing up via a shortcut!). Anyway, some photos were taken and we headed back to the car by that point, we were both soaked, but luckily, I had waterproof trousers on and it kept my jeans underneath dry...those waterproof trouswers was one of my best purchases!

Whilst driving from Golitha Falls back to Padstow, we spotted an owl santuary, so the next day, we were there at the Screech Owl Santuary. OMG, they had loads of different types of owls, all so different and most of them are so so cute. Had a great time look at them and even got to fly a barn owl, Fluffy!

I didn't take any pics because I didn't have a memory card for my camera, totally oblivious that it takes a different kind of memory card to my hubby's camera!

Before we headed home, went to RS fish and chips to get some food, Haddock and chips and battered scallops. It was yummy, I can tell you that the scallops were so tasty!

After roughly a 5 hour drive, we were home to more rain and even thunder and lightening, how welcoming the british weather can be!

No comments: